Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Living simply - without clutter

I have been meaning to live a life without clutter for some time - having been somewhat of a squirrel and keeping/holding on to stuff for most of my life - and tidying up not beeing something I did regularly, rather left stuff on the floor, desk, etc - I have been making an effort to get better.

Throughout my adult life, we have been moving regularly, three times in Stockholm and then twice in London, where we lived for 5 years. And staying in Sydney for 7 years saw us move five times. (well the last time we moved 2 kids  (students) and our stuff to a flat and we moved to Stockholm).

When moving to Stockholm, to a furnished flat, and the plan to stay for 1 year, we did not bring that much. Or at least that is what we thought then. 7 suitcases with 23 kg each, plus 4 a few months later and then probably 2-3 suitcases worth of stuff during trips back to Sydney.

The sorting and going through stuff to keep/take/store I did before moving from Sydney was planned to be much more organised, but things had it that there was not time left in the end.
Things we took to Sweden was probably not all needed - and some things were not even used when we lived there for 2 years.

Accumulation of stuff when there also happened, mainly things I inherited from my grandparents when their homes where shifted as we lived there.

In October 2014, we made the decision to move back to Sydney for a couple of years - and also decided to only take with us what we could fit in our luggage on the flight - 30 kgs each plus a small carry-on luggage.

My inital thoughts where that this is crazy, how can I do this, but then I thought it was a great challenge.

The result:
Lots of decluttering, storing things in Stockholm (ended up with aprox 30 boxes/pieces stored) and we managed to travel with 91 kgs for the 3 of us.

We have an almost full home in Sydney, if not in the flat where the children live, it is in storage.

The plan is to move into a new flat within a couple of months, start from afresh and only incorporate stuff and things that are a necessity.
More on this later.

No comments: